Bedford, Virginia Bed and Breakfasts
Home > Find a B&B > By City > Bedford, Virginia
In 1781, Bedford County was split to make Campbell County and the village of New London lost the title of county seat. A new location had to be found for this purpose and the village of Liberty was founded in 1782. (1) Liberty remained a village until becoming a town in 1839. As a result of a devastating fire in the late 1880's, the citizens of Liberty undertook a massive revitalization campaign. The town was renamed to "Bedford City" in 1890, and along with the name change came economic prosperity in the form of improved rail service, textile, furniture manufacturing, and electrification of the City. Numerous new buildings and subdivisions were built, and the City created its own electric utility.
Bedford City continued to gain prestige as the agricultural, commercial, industrial and administrative center for the area, and it attracted several college preparatory schools during the late 1890's and early 1900's: Belmont Seminary, Jeter Institute, Randolph Macon Academy, and Virginia Business College. Not only did the opening of the schools bring new students into town, it also made the "Liberty Improvement" (one of the several subdivisions of Victorian-era middle-class homes built during the expansion) a perfect location for the school teachers. These homes can be seen today in the area around Avenel House.See Inns in and near Bedford: Downtown | 1 Mile | 5 Miles | 15 Miles | 25 Miles | 50 Miles
There are no results found.