It may still technically be summer, but the weather in Virginia has been hinting of autumn, and now is the time when many begin planning their fall foliage travels. With all of your planning and packing, it may be easy to overlook a few necessary things to help you enjoy your fall getaway to its fullest. Thus, we have compiled a checklist for your convenience:
- Book your room in advance. While some B&Bs may have rooms open for walk-ins, chances are, everything will be booked up with other fall foliage travelers.
- Be sure to have your camera. Whether it’s a point-and-shoot, a professional DSLR, or a simple camera on your phone, you’ll want to be ready to capture all of the brilliance of the upcoming fall foliage.
- Bring your hiking boots. The best autumn views are, of course, outdoors, and sometimes it may require a bit of effort to reach them.
- Dress in layers. Fall weather in Virginia is capricious, and the day can offer anything from hot sunshine to a cold rainstorm. Check the weather forecast and bring layers of clothing for your convenience.
- Stay up-to-date with autumn in Virginia by calling the “Fall Foliage Hotline” at 1-800-424-LOVE.
- Coordinate your getaway with specific fall festivals. There are numerous autumn festivals all across Virginia, so plan your vacation around a festival and enjoy the array of fall colors as an added bonus.
Ready to book your room? Check out a list of our Inn Virginia members. Also, don’t forget to follow Inn Virginia on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and Pinterest. (If you take photos of the fall foliage, feel free to share them with us on our social media sites!)
By Tara Stoll