June 25, 2011 is the 75th anniversary of the beautiful Shenandoah National Park, and so in honor of that, I present to you a compiled list of random facts about this area. Enjoy!
- Congress authorized the creation of the park of May 22, 1926
-. The park was officially established on December 27, 1935
- Many of the roads and trails were built by the Civilian Conservation Corps
–. There are over 200 different species of birds in the park
- The park contains over 1,300 species of vascular plants, 50 species of mammals, and 27 species of reptiles.
- The park encompasses 197,411 acres total
- 40% of the land in the park is protected by the National Wilderness Preservation System
- Shenandoah National Park is featured in a video game called Tom Clancy’s EndWar.
- This park has the densest population of black bears in the entire U.S.
- This park is the only known location in the world where you can find the Shenandoah Salamander.
As you can tell, the Shenandoah Nation Park is fascinating, beautiful, historical and overall fantastic, and there is going to be a lovely celebration of its 75th anniversary in Luray, VA. I know you want to check it out, and I also know that you’ll be needing a place to chill while you celebrate the gloriousness of the Shenandoah National Park. Luckily for you, there are some wonderful bed and breakfasts in the area! Try the Mayneview B&B and GreenTree Inn or the South Court Inn Bed and Breakfast.
By Tara Stoll