Blackstone, Virginia Bed and Breakfasts
Home > Virginia Bed & Breakfast > Blackstone, Virginia > Grey Swan Inn
View more photos at our web site: www.greyswaninn.com
Grey Swan Inn
- Your host(s):
- James and Christine Hasbrouck
- Web Site:
- 615 S. Main Street
Blackstone, Virginia 23824
- Guest Rooms:
- 5Bathrooms: 5
- $99 - $189
- Check In/Out:
- 2:00 pm - 7:00 pm - 11:00 am
- Extra Person Fee:
- Social Media:
Grey Swan Inn
The Grey Swan Inn was built in 1902 by prominent Blackstonian Douglas Longstreet Tuggle of R. W. Tuggle & Son Tobacco Company of Blackstone, Virginia, for his bride, Sue Armstrong, and was in the Tuggle family home for eighty-five years. R. W. Tuggle, father of Douglas Longstreet, was a prominent and respected tobacconist and was instrumental in forming one of the first(if not the first) tobacco co-operatives in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
In 'its day' the Tuggle home was a frequent setting for festive gatherings and local social events - drawing prominent guests not only from Blackstone and throughout Virginia, but including visitors from New York, Boston, Atlanta, and the capitals of Europe. We know that R.W. Tuggle and his wife would be pleased that guests continue to grace this home.
The Grey Swan Inn has been renovated for comfortable 20th century living and retains the original features that make the house distinctive - original Southern 'yellow pine' and maple hardwood floors, French doors with side lights, West Virginian slated roof and English wainscoting. It has served as an inn for over 15 years.
Since Sept 2007, the current owners, Jim and Christine, have been welcoming guests to The Grey Swan Inn to relax and enjoy the inn's wrap-around front porch in warm weather and the parlor with a fireplace for reading or visiting with other guests.
The aroma of freshly ground coffee invites guests to the dining room for breakfasts. There are also a large variety of teas available. The fruit starter is followed by cook's choice of entree. Special dietary requirement are taken into consideration with advance notice.
Local and Area Things to Do:
* Schwartz Tavern and Carriage Museum, both located off of N Main, offer visitors a peek into the past. They are about 1 mile from The Grey Swan Inn.
* VUMAC (Virginia United Methodist Assembly Center) is the former Blackstone College for Girls and now offers a venue for conferences, weddings, meetings, receptions, & and other group events. It is located about 4 blocks from The Grey Swan Inn.
* The Grey Swan Inn is part of Blackstone's Historic District which is on the National Register of Historic Places. The homes and buildings can be seen either in a walking or driving self-tour.
* Fort Pickett - This Army National Guard Maneuver Training facility is 4 miles from Blackstone and is used for military and non-military training.
* Lee's Retreat - The Grey Swan Inn is close to the driving tour of Lee's retreat which ends in Appomattox, VA.
*Civil War Trail - Multiple sites are scattered in the area for civil War historians to visit.
* Lake Rawlings is about 20 miles from Blackstone - a scuba diving facility.
* Colonial Downs Off Track Betting Facility in Alberta, VA is just 20 miles away
* Farmville is located 35 miles away and is home to Longwood University, Hampden Syndey College, and Green Front Furniture.
* Antique shopping is available in Blackstone, Nottoway Court House, and Crewe, VA
Cancellations under 48 hours will be charged 1 night stay. No Show will be charged full amount.
|Bookmark Us!||Print brochure||Visit our website|
Minimum Stay Required
Well Suited For